A new regeneration scheme is proposed for Castle Square, to raise its quality and to make it more active, distinctive and vibrant.
A modern, functional and well-maintained public space is needed, where people will want to spend quality time and relax, which can still accommodate a range of events and cultural experiences.
This web page provides the public and statutory consultees with an opportunity to view and comment upon the draft planning application documents In advance of submission of the application to Swansea Council. Accordingly, the description of development is:
“Enhancement of Castle Square to include the erection of up to four commercial units (flexible Use Classes A1,A3and/or mixed A1/A3), installation of public realm features, hard and soft landscaping and associated works”
Full details are provided on the submitted drawings. An explanation of the design rationale can be found in the Design and Access Statement but a summary of the proposals is provided below
- Removal of existing water feature;
- Reconfiguration of existing crescent of steps to omit sloping landing and consolidate into a single flight;
- Creation of terraced seating areas with defined stepped routes;
- Expansion of existing planters to increase planted area and provide flush access points by grading down to ground level;
- Replacement of existing low planter walls with monolithic stone or precast concrete (PCC) bench elements;
- Creation of a new access route through the western planter;
- Creation of a new planter in the south west corner of the Square;
- New planting strategy with introduction of multi-functional green infrastructure including amenity lawns, various landscaping and biodiverse planting, green roofs on the pavilions and integration of Sustainable Urban Drainage in the form of granular storage below lawns;
- Existing trees retained with exception of 6no. category C trees removed to enable the development, planting of 10no. new trees;
- Replacement of existing paving in the central area of the Square, refurbishment of existing paving in the surrounding pedestrian routes;
- Resurfacing of the existing highway incorporating buff chippings;
- Removal of existing bollards along the highway edge, to be replaced by bollards or other landscape features between raised planter edges to prevent vehicle access;
- Construction of two Pavilion buildings of 208m2 and 158m2 area, for retail, food and/or beverage uses (Classes A1 and/or A3), one with an accessible green roof, both with projecting canopies;
- New water feature of flush-jet type in the central area to provide interactive play and flexibility of use when switched off;
- Replacement of existing TV screen and construction of a “bandstand” below;
- Introduction of two clusters of “Digital Bamboo” - 12m tall illuminate Glass Reinforced Plastic poles; and
- Associated works
The planning application documents can be viewed or downloaded from the ‘Application Documents’ Tab whilst the location of the proposed development is shown in the ‘Location Map’ tab.
Comments should be sent:
- by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or;
- by post, addressed to Planning Consultations, Savills, 2 Kingsway, Cardiff, CF10 3FD.
- Comments are due by Monday 24 May 2022.
If you are experiencing difficulties viewing the documents online please contact Savills on 02920368912.
Please note that this is a separate process to the consultation that which Swansea Council will carry out when the application is formally submitted. Any views that you wish for us to take into account, prior to submission of the formal planning application, should be provided direct to the addresses above.